A Distinctive Documentary Bull's Head Cattle Market Sign

A Distinctive Documentary Bull's Head Cattle Market Sign
Of Stylised Naturalistic Form and Historic Significance
Weathered Cast Iron
English, John Bell Foundry, c.1855

15 ½" high 17 ½" wide x 7" deep (excl. stand)

Provenance: From a gatepost of the historic Metropolitan Cattle Market, which was opened by Prince Albert in 1855, and later became known as the Caledonian Market in the Borough of Islington. The market was demolished in 1963. Another virtually identical example is held in the collection of the Museum of London. 

Ref: 10291

Collections: Archive