Saturday Gallery Assistant
Robert and Josyane Young established the Robert Young Antiques Partnership in 1977. Prior to meeting, Robert had trained at Sotheby’s under the legendary Derek Shrub, after studying French Art and Civilisation at La Sorbonne University in Paris. Provençale born Josyane studied at the Fine and Decorative Arts Course at the Victoria and Albert Museum in London, after graduating in English and Law from Amiens University.
- Robert is Vice-Chairman of The British Antique Dealers Association, (BADA).
- Overall Co-Chair of Vetting at the New York Winter Antiques Show.
- Specialist Vetter of Vernacular Furniture, Treen, Folk Art, Naive and Primitive Paintings at Masterpiece London;
- Chairman of the Vernacular and Painted Furniture and Folk Art Committee at the Fine Art and Antiques Fairs at Olympia London.
- Robert and Josyane have regularly served on Specialist Vetting Committees and Advisory Boards for The San Francisco Fall Antiques Show; The Grosvenor House Antiques Fair; The Decorative Antiques and Textiles Fairs London; The Chelsea Antiques Fair and the Antiques for Everyone Fairs.
- Robert and Josyane have and continue to serve on Advisory Boards, Dealer, Design and Specialist Vetting Committees in the UK and USA.
The internationally acclaimed Gallery at 68 Battersea Bridge Road opened in 1978 and pioneered an individual and atmospheric style of presentation and display, highlighting the form, texture and graphic aesthetic qualities of the selected Vernacular Furniture, Naïve, Primitive and Folk Art exhibited. The Gallery has helped to raise the profile of Folk Art in the UK and Internationally and has attracted regular editorial coverage in the Art Press.
At Robert Young we have been specialising in original antique Folk Art and Vernacular Furniture for over 40 years and are still excited by the unexplored and subtly sophisticated works of inspired artisans and academically untrained “Folk” artists. Our objective is to source and exhibit authentic works, with unique individual character and integrity, believing that such pieces represent the raw spirit of creativity and a powerful form of expression.
Works of Folk Art are artistically uninhibited and not constrained by the dictates of mainstream fashion, art theory, disciplines or practice. The most exciting examples invariably display an original quality, which can inspire and move viewers and collectors. Almost by definition each piece is unique and typically boasts an intriguing surface texture, (whether worn, weathered, raw, painted, or richly polished and patinated), which reflects its age, history, medium and function and invariably enhances its individuality.
The best works are curiously compelling and are compatible with and complimentary to mainstream artworks in both traditional and contemporary environments, lending a sense of individuality and style to homes and collections. Robert and Josyane Young share a passion for these pieces and individually select and care for everything they source and exhibit.
Robert and Josyane are both individually elected members of the British Antique Dealers Association
Robert Young Antiques are members of CINOA, the International Art and Antique Dealers Association